Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Second Opinions

I sent M for a second opinion at a university teaching center. I had originally sent her to one of our local rheumatologists. He didn't think very much was wrong with her. I'm convinced she has a rheumatological issue. So I sent her to the university. They think she has Sjogren's syndrome. That makes sense to me. I have been dealing with her pain now for over a year. I keep thinking that it has a rheumatological basis. But the rheumatologist says no. It's frustrating. Now, I am terribly relieved. So is she. We can proceed with an intelligent treatment, and she's probably going to get a lot better.

Sometimes I don't like second opinions. I just sent someone else (one of my patients) for a second neurological opinion at a university center. They thought that I have it wrong, and gave him a different (much better) diagnosis. I think he has ALS (Lou Gherig's disease). They don't think so. They think he has Isaac's disease. However, I'm not sure yet that I'm totally convinced I'm wrong. Time will tell. Still - I hope I'm wrong. Even so, it's no fun to be the one that got it wrong. But here's the thing: if it helps the patient, who really cares?

Some doctors don't want the patients to get second opinions. Those patients should get a second opinion.

No comments: