Monday, February 4, 2008

New Staff

We have new staff today. We went from one employee in 2001 when I started the practice to two, to three, to two to three, to two. Then, we had three, then four. Then one left and we had only three. Now two started and we have five. This is very exciting. I am trying to get the staff to understand the notion of taking care of people. I think we have been generally "under staffed". This creates too much work per person which reduces the care output per person-patient encounter. People think that the doctor takes care of the patients. This is wrong thinking. The whole team takes care of the patients. I overheard one of the new staff talking on the phone to one of my patients. She was very - VERY - nice. That makes me feel good. I got to tell the checkout person that they are to check the patients out when they check the patients out. That means that they don't answer the phone and put people on hold. I'm optimistic that this is going to increase our happiness production for people who come. People who come here are sick. You can't go about doing a "job" and completing tasks when someone who is sick is here. You have to stop what you're doing and take care of them. Otherwise, they aren't taken care of. If they aren't taken care of, then what are we doing here? Anyway, hopefully this will work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doc: I hate having Parkinsons but i like my visits to your office. You have always given the appearance of caring or at least being involved in my treatment. Other doctors would not listen to my complaints and went on with their own agenda of moving us past the the billing lady without listining to me. Meanwile my life was spinning out of control until you confirmed what my wife and I had to diagnose on our own. Knowing what was going on was the first step in getting control of my life and re-focusing to my center, my life, and opened me up to many new things. I'v been aproached to be trained to teach a Tai Chi class just for parkinsons patents. My art is doing way better than I ever thought and my marraige to my bride of 16 years is better then ever. Just let me know what you would like and I would love to donate a painting for you to hide someplace in your office. Sometimes thank you's are few and far between. THANK YOU !!!!
Pookie (wayne Lathinghouse)

Anonymous said...

I have encountered your staff and I think that they understand how to take care of people. You have a genuine desire, the credentials and the setting (just you and the patient -one on one) to do so. You should have comfort in knowing that they have the ability and the desire to take care of your patients. I am sure that it is a gift to them to be able to give the patients undivided attention just as you are able to get. Best Wishes to you and your new staff.

Anonymous said...

Doctor, you and your staff are a great example of the "Trickle-Down Effect".

Thanks for being the example others should emulate.

Riverdoc said...

Quote Collector: I've never really understood the "trickle down" theory. It comes from the finance world, in which when the wealthiest become wealthier, everyone does better. However, if the industrialized nations were to contribute 1% of their revenue, it would end world starvation. The 300 wealthiest families have an INCOME that is greater than the poorest 3 billion. It isn't trickling at all. Recently, Bill Gates has been calling for some sort of a fundamental change in capitalism itself. However, I do think that as people we can help those we meet. We influence each other. So I try to remind the staff that the patients are people. But the thing is that deep inside everyone wants to be nice to people. There are people who are nice, and there are people who are nice but they just don't know it.
Anonymous: Thank-you
Pookie: Having seen your art, I can tell you that if I had it, it wouldn't be hidden. It doesn't belong hidden. There are some people who come here and don't say thank-you. So I've solved that problem by starting to say "Thank-you for coming in." when people leave. That way, after each patient visit there is a thanks. One time, my Mom was mad at me because I didn't call her. So I asked why she didn't call me if she wanted to talk. So if people don't thank you, then thank them instead.

Anonymous said...

Doctor, I was refering to what everyone can control; ATTITUDE. Staff always follow the example of management.

If it is a GOOD example it CAN be multiplied. If it is a BAD example it WILL be multiplied!

The CEO you mentioned will have her "Trickle-Down Effect".