Friday, April 24, 2009

Today's Patients

Yesterday I finished late and didn't get to do all of the paper work. My last patient of the day told me that she was feeling unsafe at home due to prior instances of spousal abuse. She took extra time. I think people should feel safe at home. I told her to call one of the organizations that help in these circumstances. I don't know if she will or not. There is too much spouse abuse. It is usually related to alcohol as in this case. It's surprising how little we can do. It wouldn't surprise me at all if she doesn't call for help. That's very common.
PN has had Parkinson's for a very long time. She has severe dementia, and very severe anxiety. Toady her husband told me he's considering putting her in a home. He doesn't really have adequate support and is worn down.
I saw a woman today who needs to see a Neurosurgeon. She has severe spinal stenosis with spinal cord compression. She told me why two of the neurosurgeons in town whom she has met with before are terrible people. I recommended a third one, but she didn't want to meet with him. She is very angry and very arrogant. It's interesting that someone is in danger of developing spinal cord damage but would rather discuss why she doesn't like the surgeons she's seen in the past than working on the problem that she has.
I saw JB today. She is a complete mistery. For reasons that I can't understand she acts exactly like someone who isn't getting enough blood into her brain even though she has enough blood pressure. She is dizzy. I can't seem to make her better, even though I've taken her off more than half of her blood pressure medications.
MB was here today also. She is quadraplegic from a trauma about fifty years ago. Her husband died last week. She didn't really want to talk about it though.

No comments: