Thursday, July 17, 2008

Quite a Compliment

MG came yesterday. She has some very odd ideas about what I've done for her. I admit that I have given her some good medical care. It has helped her. We've improved the quality of her life. She had great pain which we reduced, even after other physicians weren't able to. But my care wasn't extraordinary. I'm happy with it it. But it isn't one of the cases where I am so proud of how well I did from a medical standpoint. However, she has great gratitude. She thinks I have done great things for her.

We were discussing a new machine one of my colleagues has which I think is fantastic. I would love to have one, but it's beyond my reach. It's not a machine that we get reimbursed for. It absolutely should be. However, in the infinite medicare wisdom it's considered part of taking routine blood pressure (it's actually far from it). I was very shocked when she offered to split the cost with me.

I run a for-profit medical practice. Donations for non-profit medical clinics and hospitals are common. But donations for my practice are unheard of. Donations for any practice, I think, are unheard of. I've gotten some thank-you cards from time to time. I've even gotten a few little gifts from time to time. It's wonderful to know that some patients appreciate what I do.

Of course, I appreciate what I do. Even if no one ever said "Thank-you" this would be a good thing to do. That is because it is a great process. Actually, it's sort of a privilege to be able to do it. It's challenging, of course. But it's a good thing to do. It's a good endeavor. One can see directly how the work you're doing helps people. And there are times when you save lives and times when you do great things like make people in wheelchairs walk again. It's not an every day thing, but it's so much fun when you're a part of that.

This business of someone offering to help me buy a machine for the practice is entirely overwhelming. I'm not even sure I remember what I said. My wife asked me "What did you say?" I can't honestly say I know. Patients are surprising sometimes. People are nice. I like people. I like being a doctor. Sometimes the patients can give you strength in the face of what may seem like overwhelming challenges. It's actually a very rare day that I don't have at least a few patients who are grateful for their care and tell me. On the other hand, it's an extremely rare day (so far about once every fifteen years) that a patient offers to help me buy a machine that I can't afford!

1 comment:

Pookie said...

ALLEN:
Your last entry was July 17th. GOOD GOD MAN don't you know that you have a fan Base that reads this blog. Your public needs more Lifton at least twice a month!!!