Monday, January 21, 2008

Buisness

There is a great new business opportunity for me. Most of the physicians in town are now employees of HMA, the company that owns the hospital. The new CEO came in and started buying all of the practices. Frank, my old partner, says that they want control. Anyway, they haven't had very much luck getting the Neurologists in town to do what they want. So they hired a new Neurologist to work for HMA. She is their employee. She starts on 1/28. Effective 1/28 none of their doctors have any patients referred to me. That is a little odd, since in a typical week that group would have about eight new patients here. But they are going to send people where their employer wants them too (obviously).
This gives me more time to find other business. That is a good thing. I never have enough time for my other interests. I've been trying to get this book on being healthy done for years. Perhaps I finally will have some time. Or maybe my self-referrals will pick up. Who knows. It's exciting. I am wanting to get more into the herbal side of medicine as well. That takes time. There's a lot to learn in that area.
When things change it is always an opportunity. Medicine is like everything else in that regard. As soon as the book on being healthy is done, I really want to write one on why disease is so good. There are a lot of books out about why death and dying are good. But there aren't ones on why diseases are good; especially particular diseases. No one thinks about that; no one writes about that. Everyone accepts that all illness is bad. But that isn't exactly true. It is easy for people to say it's bad that there is politics in where the patients are going to be referred. It's easy to say anything is bad. But it isn't bad. We just have to always work a little harder to see how things are good when we want to think they aren't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is hard for some people to see through what they consider hardships. It you are to look up the word "hardship" in a thesaurus, there is not the interchangeable word "change." However, it should be for many. I am not sure why my personal thesaurus considers "change" an "opportunity," maybe it is because of the people that surround me in my life. I must give credit to them; I am thankful for this. Or, maybe I just have not encountered a hardship yet. Hopefully, I will never know the answer to this.