Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sick People

GL has to go to a nursing home. I saw him this morning. His wife wants to put him in a nursing home due to his Alzheimer's. He doesn't know who she is. He hasn't known that for the last year or so. Now, he doesn't remember how to get to the bathroom from the bedroom. He can't get dressed or undressed either. I thought he needed to be in a nursing home some time ago. I told her that about a year ago. Her back is bothering her, and she has sciatica. That's the thing that made her finally realize that she can't really take care of him anymore.
CG came in today. He has a very severe chronic pain due to stroke and also neuropathy that I can't fix. I actually got it to go away once for a while but then he was allergic to the medicine that made it better (he got a rash). I just put him on a new medicine (I keep trying him on things). It hasn't helped, but I want to try increasing the dose. It is expensive, so he said he won't be able to take it. I'm going to have him try the high dose for a week anyway. I don't know what I'll do if it works. I've tried almost everything trying to fix this pain for the past few years. If I find something that works and he can't afford it, I'm going to be extremely frustrated.
TY came in today again. He fell down and broke his foot. He sees me for seizures, which are well controlled. He wants to be on less medication because of the side effects. One of the side effects is clumsiness, but that's not why he fell. He fell because of an insulin reaction from his diabetes. I'm not sure how we're going to figure out if his clumsiness improves when we reduce his medication if his foot is broken and he's in a cast with a crutch.
People are sick today.

No comments: